In this step the inspections are actually carried out: the various inspection activities (aimed at compliance checking and compliance assistance) are prepared and executed. Traditional inspection activities are the (physical) routine (site) inspections, non-routine (site) inspections and investigations of incidents. Many of these activities can and should be executed according to standard protocols and working instructions (that have been developed in the previous step). The cooperation and information exchange with partner organisations is also part of this step. Information on the inspection activities carried out, their results and their follow up (imposed sanctions) should be stored in an accessible database.
Execution and reporting should at least cover (in no order of preference):
Routine site visits
- Examining environmental impact by following the inspection schedule, EC legal requirements and/or organisational arrangements of inspectorate;
- Promoting and reinforcing knowledge and understanding of operator;
- Evaluating permits and authorisations.
Non-routine site visits
- Accidents and incidents;
- Occurrences of non-compliance;
- (The need for) issuing a new permit or revising the existing permit.
Investigation of accident/incident / occurrence of non-compliance
- To clarify the cause and it’s impact;
- Responsibilities, liabilities and consequences;
- Forward conclusions to to inspecting authority;
- Follow up that has to be taken, such as but not limited to: actions to mitigate / remedy the impact, actions for prevention, actions to be taken by the operator and enforcement actions.
Other compliance checking and compliance assistance activities
- assessing operator monitoring data;
- organising information campaigns.
- After every site visit;
- Process/ store inspection data;
- Evaluation for further actions;
- Finalised a.s.a.p.;
- Keep record of reports;
- Accessible database;
- Communicated to operator;
- Publicly available (within 2 months).
Exchange information with partner organisations
Inspection schedule and execution frame work.
Inspection activities and the results.