Water and Land Remediation
Project description and aims
The contaminated sites management is a process that has different speeds in Member States. This is due partly to differences in legislation that would mean different definitions as for making some examples “potentially contaminated sites”, “contaminated sites”, “remediated sites”. For this reason, the European Commission-JRC launched an initiative with EEA-EIONET network to find common definitions and a survey in MS in 2018 that resulted in defining 6 site statuses.
The expected outcomes of this projects are:
- Support/exchange technical experience required to make progress with the Remediation phase in Europe in order to enable those MS in which no procedure is currently taking place to have one reference.
- To share knowledge, skills and good practices, producing technical guidance, coordinating action between countries.
- To involve the main European Networks that deals with contaminated sites issues like COMMON FORUM, Eionet WG Contamination, and NICOLE.
- The project team is working on preparing two new documents on Thermal Desorption and Phytoremediation. First draft is expected for October 2023.
Final reports 2022
The project team released final reports on Multi Phase Extraction in November 2022 and in Soil Washing in January 2023. The translation of these reports are in progress (expected for September 2023)
Multi Phase Extraction (MPE) report (EN)
In situ Chemical Oxidation (Final reports 2021)
The project team has released the following final reports in 2021 about In Situ Chemical Oxidation in several EU languages:
In Situ Chemical Oxidation (ISCO) report (EN)
Oxidacion Quimica "in situ" (ISCO) (ES)
Rapport sur l'oxydation chimique in situ (OCIS) (FR)
Έκθεση για την επιτόπια χημική οξείδωση (ΕΤΧΟ),Τελική έκθεση (GR)
Ossidazione chimica in situ (ISCO) report (IT)
In situ chemische oxidatie (ISCO) (NL)
Utlenianie Chemiczne In Situ - raport (PL)
Relatório – Oxidação Química In Situ (ISCO) (PT)
Raport privind Oxidarea Chimică in-situ (ISCO). (RO)
In Situ Kemična Oksidacija (In Situ Chemical Oxidation - ISCO) poročilo (SI)
In situ chemická oxidácia (ISCO), Záverečná správa (SK)
Yerinde Kimyasal Oksidasyon Raporu (TR)
Soil Vapour Extraction (Final reports 2021)
The project team has released the following final reports in 2021 about Soil Vapour extraction in several EU languages:
Soil Vapour Extraction (SVE) report (EN)
Extracción de vapores del suelo (SVE) (ES)
Rapport sur l'extraction des vapeurs du sol (EVS). (FR)
Έκθεση για την εξαγωγή ατμών εδάφους. (GR)
Estrazione vapori da suolo (SVE) (IT)
Bodemlucht-Extractie -report (NL)
Ekstrakcja Par z Gruntu (SVE) - raport (PL)
Relatório - Extração de Vapor do Solo (SVE) (PT)
Raport privind extracția vaporilor din sol (SVE). (RO)
Ekstrakcija talnih hlapov (Soil Vapour Extraction - SVE) poročilo (SI)
Extrakcia pôdneho vzduchu (SVE) (SK)
Toprak Gazı Ekstraksiyonu (SVE) Raporu (TR)
• Soil Thematic strategy.
• COM(2006)231 final.
• Stockholm Convention (art. 6, last version).
• MINAMATA Convention on Mercury.
• No net land take by 2050 reported for the first time in the Roadmap to a Resource Efficient Europe, COM(2011) 571 final.
Number: 2021/08-WP6, 2020/09 – Status: Ongoing – Period: 2021 – Topic: Water and land - Tags: water