Number: 2021/15, 2020/24, 2019/18
Terms of Reference
- Criteria Assessment Environmental Damage phase III (2021)
- Criteria Assessment Environmental Damage phase II (2020)
- Criteria Assessment Environmental Damage (2019)
- IMPEL CAED Practical Guide (2020/24)
- IMPEL CAED Practical Tables (2020/24)
- IMPEL CAED Final Report (2019)
Project description and aims
The project aims to define criteria for the assessment of the environmental damage and imminent threat of damage and build technical and procedural capacity in screening cases and determination of clues and evidence of environmental damage and threat of damage under Environmental Liability Directive caused by environmental incidents, violations, eco-criminal acts.
The CAED project takes guidance on key terms and definitions of Environmental Damage as a springboard and focusses on the technical/administrative procedures necessary to make determination of Environmental Damage.
The project therefore builds on the ELD Multi Annual Rolling Work Programme and has strong links with the European Commission’s publication, later in 2020, of guidance on environmental damage and imminent threat of environmental damage.
The ultimate goal of the project is to produce a guide proving criteria for the assessment of the environmental damage and imminent threat of damage under ELD national legislation of Member States, based on reference parameters relating to ‘evidence’ and to ‘clue’ of environmental damage or imminent threat of damage.
The objective of the 2019 CAED project was to identify, both from a regulatory, practical and technological point of view, how the clues and the evidences of environmental damage and threats of damage can be detected, identified and evaluated. This was done by the analysis of a collection of ascertainment practices of 32 ‘ELD cases’ and ‘non-ELD cases’ across Member States to identify criteria to assess environmental damage and imminent threat of environmental damage. Finally, the following report provides an evaluation of guidance provided by some jurisdictions, with particular reference to the parts related to the determination of environmental damage.
The objective of the 2020 CAED project was to produce the following practical guide including practical tools and a new methodology for the determination of the clues of the environmental damage of which existence provides the reasonable proof for further investigation and assessment of candidate cases of environmental damage under ELD.
The 2021 project’s expected outcomes are:
- The identification of indicator and indexes and the definition of decision-making flowcharts for the determination of the clues of environmental damage
- To enhance the implementation of ELD in Member States by the definition of criteria, and the further development of the practical tools, for the assessment of the environmental damage and imminent threat of damage
Lead country and contact