After 2 consecutive years of organising EU networks conferences (2016 Utrecht and 2017 Oxford), IMPEL presents a dedicated conference on the work, progress and way forward of its network, the 5 Expert Teams and their members.
The conference will focus mainly on the ambitions set out in IMPEL’s Position Paper ‘Next Generation IMPEL’. Key areas are identifying, developing and sharing good practices in environmental compliance assurance, and strengthening the cooperation and coordination of actors in the compliance assurance chain. Furthermore IMPEL wishes to further enhance the robustness and sustainability of the network, whose strength comes from the expertise and experience of practitioners from authorities who work on a day-to-day basis with implementation and enforcement on the ground, many times in a context of decreasing resources. The Position Paper closely relates to the Environmental Compliance Assurance (ECA) Initiative by the European Commission launched in January 2018. This initiative includes a 9-point Action Plan and a Decision creating a new high-level Expert Group, the Environmental Compliance and Governance Forum.
- Bring together experts, practitioners and regulators in the field of environmental compliance, implementation and enforcement
- Present the state of play, & to discuss implementation of, IMPEL’s Position Paper: ‘Next Generation IMPEL’ and its ambitions; plus how this aligns with the European Commission’s Environmental Compliance Assurance Initiative
- Inform and align with stakeholders and strategic partners active in the compliance chain
- Showcase innovative new tools and actions to support IMPEL members in their work and responsibilities
- Facilitate sharing of best practices, case studies and know-how
The conference will also offer the 5 Expert Teams (and project teams) to hold their meetings back to back to the conference. This will be an extraordinary opportunity to receive members͛ input for the presented actions and ways forward to increase and assure environmental compliance.
The conference is organised by IMPEL and kindly hosted by the Provence of Flevoland of the Netherlands.
Date and location
The conference will take place 24 and 28 September 2018 in the Provinciehuis at Lelystad, Netherlands. (Visarenddreef 1, Lelystad, The Netherlands, www.flevoland.nl )
The registration procedure will open at the end of March 2018.
For any queries, please contact Ms Carmen Herreras at the IMPEL secretariat.
Earlier this year, the European Commission launched the Environmental Compliance Assurance initiative. This initiative sets out actions to support Member States in how they promote, monitor and enforce compliance by economic operators and other duty-holders with EU environment law. During a stakeholders conference on 31 of January, followed by a workshop on tackling waste and wildlife crime and non-compliance which took place on 20 March, IMPEL was invited to draft a position paper contributing to the initiative and providing input for the Action Plan.
The position paper identifies 6 areas where IMPEL could play a role, namely:
- Build strategic relationships
- Understand the implementation challenges of environmental laws and regulations
- Develop and build capacity of environmental regulators
- Establish a European knowledge and innovation centre for practitioners
- Coordinate inspection and enforcement actions with transboundary relevance
- Formalising the feedback loop